Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Brandon Sanderson

So, for the information of anyone who doesn't know this yet, I'm a huge nerd. I can admit it. Brandon Sanderson, one of my favorite authors, recently put out a nerdy book.


http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson.png

I went back and forth over and over about whether or not I wanted to get a numbered autographed copy on opening night.  I finally decided not to, partly because I missed the pre-order deadline.  Then I get a call from my old roommate Travis the day before the book came out. Travis accidentally pre-ordered two copies.  I said I would buy one of them off of him.  So Travis asked me what I wanted the personalization to say, since he would be going to get it from Brandon that night and could have anything I wanted written in the front.  I didn't really care so I just told Travis to make it something "cool and Brandon Sandersony".

A week or two later, yesterday, I get the book in the mail.  When I opened it up, I saw the autographed title page:


How awesome is that? Travis apparently told Brandon Sanderson that I was getting married soon, so I now have a congratulations on the title page. Maybe that's just cool to me, but I think it's pretty darn cool.

5 comments:

* said...

I think it's cool that he spelled the "te". That must drive his editor nuts.

Bradwich said...

I think that Sanderson is one of my favorites, too--I really liked Elantris, Warbreaker, and Alcatraz, and I'm currently reading Mistborn and like it, too. You'll have to let me (or "us", the collective blog-reading world) what you think.

David said...

I'll let you know when I read Way of Kings. Right now I'm plowing through Wheel of Time, because The Gathering Storm is the only Sanderson book I haven't read yet. Not sure if I should keep going on WoT so I can get Gathering Storm, or if I should take a break and read this one. Maybe one day I'll do a big Brandon Sanderson review post. That would be fun to write.

Bradwich said...

Ah, the WoT. Maybe the third time's the charm? I plan to give it one more go once the series is finished. I've heard good things about Sanderson's ability to make things move a little faster than Jordan did (I'm looking at you, books 4 or 5 and on).

the House of Payne said...

Totally cool! Mine says "signature only, please."

Also, WoT is awesome for the first six books. After that, check the summaries online to know which chapters to read and which to skim. (Hint: SKIM THE EGWENE CHAPTERS OH MY CRAP)

I'm a Mormon.