Monday, April 5, 2010

Moving advice

So, friends and family, if there is one thing I know for sure, it's that you are all smart. If there's another, it's that you are all bossy generous when it comes to giving advice.

It so happens that I need some advice. Most of my readers (ie, most of John and Sam) have moved in the recent past. I am moving in the near future. Discuss!

OK, so maybe that's not enough to get you started. I get it. So, what I want to know is this: are there things you did when you moved that you are really proud of? I mean, are there things that just made you feel so darn clever? Are there things that you wish you had done smarter? How do I move cross-country without going nuts? And paying a whole lot?

Discuss!

8 comments:

Sam said...

A. Utah to Michigan is not "cross country". San Diego to Maryland, That's coast-to-coast baby.

B. Throw away everything you own.

C. If there are still questions, see (B)

Sam said...

As far as clever, or wish I had done better. I was married and had a few possessions that necessitated a moving truck (i.e. a brand new mattress). All of the crappy furniture that one owns in college can easily be found again in the new locale. So sell it all on craigs list in utah, and buy again in michigan.

Seriously, I don't know what you own, or how you are planning on doing it. But I seriously suggest that you consider NOT doing it in a moving van. Inventory and see what you absolutely need, and what you can do without. A moving van costs lots of money, and then you have to drive it, and if you're moving with a car, then you have to do a trailer hitch. I hazard a guess that you don't want to deal with backing a trailer hitch when you have no visibility.

Joleen said...

Road trip!! Find as many friends as possible with cars, load up everything you own in them, and convince them all to follow you to Michigan.

Ha.

Psyche.

Joleen said...

Or maybe it is spelled sike? Hmmm...

David said...

Joleen, that sounds an awful lot like an offer...

Joleen said...

Haha. My word verification is "lanzy".

Maybe I'm too lanzy to help you.

:)

Bradwich said...

Seeing as we're heading to Ohio, I'm hoping to see some good ideas. If you hear any other stuff off-blog, lemme know. I'll do likewise.

the House of Payne said...

1. Buy more books.
2. Ship the books media mail.
3. San Dimas High School football rules!

I'm a Mormon.